Elegant Rose

Friday 8 June 2012

What Every Woman Should Know........

Have you been reading any good books lately?I have...
I came upon this fabulous 'Life style lessons from the 1930's' at my local news agents last week..
It's pretty appropriate really as my Olivia has strong thoughts and ideas about her special birthday celebrations coming up soon .....
She was thinking of perhaps a glamorous girls (Jessica Rabbit) and gangster guys dooo....


We have both been reading, the Great
Gatsby's by: F.Scott Fitzgerald and have heard that one of our favourite actors, Leonardo DiCaprio is to play the lead part! 
I think the film is due to be screened around autumn time, so I am looking forward to that...


If I remember rightly Robert Redford and Mia Farrow played in the original version...
Any ways back to this fab magazine, it's packed with lovely visual pictures of glamorous ladies and their fashion secrets and beauty treatments from those days...
Some made me smile really, gosh us woman have changed!
But the pictures are just wonderful!


I love the glamour of the 20's and 30's era, but I guess us girls are lucky to have the freedom that we now have, oh and definitely the kitchen gadget's to make our life a little more pleasurable!


There is a page about sweeping and dusting your way to beauty, by doing your house work to keep you trim!
Oh and the best ways to wash your lovely silk stockings!
and nett curtains too..


Anyways, I was thinking of how welcome I have felt here on blog-land and wondered if any body was interested in owning this lovely copy of life in this glamorous time!
If it's your "cup of tea", just let me know and I will pass on to you....
If there is more than one of you folks interested I will ask  my Olivia to choose by popping names in (my cloche hat) of course....


Must be moving on now as I have a party to organise ....
I also have a wedding celebration this weekend, soo lots of lovely things to enjoy!


Hope your weekend is of the loveliest kind too!

love Maria x

25 comments:

  1. I've never seen that magazine before, i'd love to give it a new home! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that magazine looks fabulous, such a wonderful time for glamour and fashions! But like you say we have so much more freedom now, I can imagine it was a tough era to live in!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria, I always think cleaning your house from top to bottom is better than a workout any day ... and probably gives you just as much satisfaction! That magazine looks just the ticket, so please can I enter? Enjoy your special weekend and see you soon, Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Mrs!
      You are in the cloche hat (of course)
      Love Maria x

      Delete
  4. That looks great, but please don't enter me into your giveaway, as postage to France is too expensive. I'm intrigued by the idea of Leo as Gatsby - I think he could do it really well. I wonder who could take on the other roles? I'll be looking out for more news. I hope the party goes wonderfully - it sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Floss,
      Heard Toby Maguire is also in the movie!
      Thank you for stopping by!
      Mariax

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of Leo as Gatsby too. I studied the book as part of my degree in literature...but it's soooo long ago now I can't even remember the story!!!
    lovely to hear from you
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fee, for your kind comment!
      Mariax

      Delete
  6. Hi Maria,
    That book looks amazing, the lives of women were so different then, I love reading about this era.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for your son and getting into the Olympics. My son is a complete amateur compared with yours!
    Hope you have an enjoyable weekend.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you are very kind Sarah,
      Hope your week is of the loveliest kind!
      Maria x

      Delete
  7. sounds like a very interesting book....I wonder how much of it applies to todays women?
    Have a super weekend
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lyn,
      Very out of date for us girls today!
      But fab reading all the same..
      Have a happy week!
      Love Mariax

      Delete
  8. Thanks for being my newest follower, you are number 200. Your blog is very lovely, too. I am looking forward to your future postings. Have a wonderful weekend!...Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi,
      Wow I am number 200!
      Have a lovely week also..
      Mariax

      Delete
  9. Ooh I bought this magazine a few months ago and have found it fascinating. There are still a few copies available in the branches of WH Smith I have visited.

    Thank you so much for the blog follow - following back via Bloglovin :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna,
      for your kind comment!
      Maria x

      Delete
  10. Oh my what a wonderful blog i too love old things and feel i should have been born in an earlier era ,i love all your pictures and the music playing ,thankyou for popping by my blog as now i have found yours xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francine,
      You are very lovely...
      Loved your blog too!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for popping by and for your lovely comment. It's funny, I was asking my mum last week if she had any magazines from her mum from the 20s or 30s. She didn't. I'd love to have my name in your cloche hat, please. It's right up my street. I hope your wedding celebration went well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww Thank you for your sweet comment,
    You will be in my cloche hat also!
    Good luck!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Maria - thank you so much for following my blog. Lily xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Women used to be so glamourous! Sure wish that ultra-girly look would make a comeback. I love 40's and 50's fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post. 1940s hats are my thing so glad i came across your blog.will check in again. its lovely.hesta

    ReplyDelete